Here are some helpful Do’s and Don’ts for seat belts.
- DO – Wear your shoulder belt snugly over your shoulder and across the center of your chest.
- DON’T – Tuck a shoulder belt behind your arm or back, or wear across your neck or face.
- DON’T – Adjust your seat so far back that the shoulder belt doesn’t reach you—you could slip out from under it in a crash.
- DO – Fit your lap belt snugly across your hips and upper thighs.
- DON’T – Fit your lap belt over your stomach.
- DO – Ask your car dealer about seat belt adjusters or extenders if the seat belt does not fit properly, and ask your car manufacturer how you can install a shoulder belt if your vehicle only has a lap belt.
- DO – Model correct passenger restraint behavior for all children and passengers.
- DO – Remember to tell all of your passengers to wear their seat belts!